About Me

My photo
Dreaming of Africa
I am married, a lifelong musician, somewhat competent photographer, and world traveler. Having been around for over 60 years, I have lots of "stuff" floating around inside my head that is screaming to get out.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photos and text on this blog are copyright 2008-2010 Norman Arnett, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise noted. All content not owned is used with permission and is also protected by copyright.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

African Birds are amazing!






While in South Africa we were able to see over 100 species of birds that were new to us. So many people go on Safari looking for the Big 5, and large animals, but we found that the birds and smaller critters were truly amazing.








From the tiny African Firefinch to Pied Kingfisher, to the Goliath Heron (The Largest Heron in the world at Five Feet!) birds were everywhere and so colorful.


We were fortunate because we booked an extra two days, so wegot our ranger all to ourselves for an entire day of birding on the preserve, Something we wouldn't have been able to do with the entire group.
Brown Hooded Kingfisher









Turacao
Pied Kingfisher

2 comments:

  1. I love birds, and the firefinch and kingfisher you have here are so colourful. We have a little blue kingfisher, I saw one on my paddle recently.
    My husband will be green with envy when he hears about a concert with Alison and Robert Plant...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing bird life. It makes our stellar jays, robins, and sparrows pale by comparison!

    ReplyDelete