About Me

My photo
Dreaming of Africa
I am married, a lifelong musician, somewhat competent photographer, and world traveler. Having been around for over 60 years, I have lots of "stuff" floating around inside my head that is screaming to get out.


All photos and text on this blog are copyright 2008-2010 Norman Arnett, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise noted. All content not owned is used with permission and is also protected by copyright.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Our first full day back in Kruger

After checking in, we settled in to our home for the next five nights. Lower Sabie camp is a wonderful camp, with a variety of facilities available. Camping areas, safari tents, Bungalows and Cabins that are meant for larger families are available and there is something for every budget. We settled in to our bungalow, I cooked dinner and we ate and then hit the pillows, fast asleep within minutes. The gate opens at 5:30 in the morning, and I wanted to be first in line. We were up long before any the sun, and by the looks of the bungalows across the way, we were up before anyone else. I quickly packed our breakfast and made tea. We were just packing the cooler in the car when our neighbor quickly hopped in his vehicle and was off toward the gate. Oh well, there went being first in line. By the time we got to the gate we ended up 3rd in line. A short wait and the gate was opened, the first two cars turned right and that put us first on the road to the left, which is where we wanted to go. Last year we had good luck on the Mlondozi Loop, where we saw eight Cheetah. I had decided to see if we could repeat our good fortune from last year so we were off. We had to stop on the Dam to watch the sun come up.

We were hoping for more Cheetah on this morning. The first few kilometers were a little slow, not too much moving except a few Wildebeest and Zebra browsing in the distance. Then to the south we saw a large bull, he was a long way off, but things were looking up.

Soon we saw two more large bulls fairly close to the road. This can become dangerous as Bulls can be cranky and charge at any time.

 We were so busy with this big boy that when we made it past him we almost didn't see a White Rhino standing within 2 meters of the road.

It was barely 8 in the morning and it was already getting warm. We got to the Mlondozi Picnic area and had breakfast. Watching out for a gang of thieves who was nearby attempting to steal a bite to eat from those not on the lookout.
They were quick and aggressive, but would back down if confronted. They were successful in stealing breakfast from a number of those picnicking. Here is the view we enjoyed while eating.

On the way back to camp for a break we saw a Martial Eagle. They are very shy and avoid contact with people. This was a first for us. All I was able to get was a shot of it flying nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment